Dubai tourists and residents require an alcohol license to buy alcohol from a shop; transport it, drink at a hotel room or home or store it at the house. Technically, an alcohol license is required to consume alcoholic drinks in a restaurant or bar in Dubai. Here we bring a guide on alcohol trading licenses in the UAE, this will help you to understand the vital information on getting an alcohol license. You can also consult with the Start Any Business professionals who will guide you on an alcohol license in a good manner and also help you in obtaining it.
- The Process of Getting an Alcohol Trading License in the UAE
- Rules for getting an alcohol license in the UAE
- Documents Required for Getting an Alcohol Trading License in Dubai
- Cost of an alcohol license in Dubai, UAE
While the United Arab Emirates is a Muslim nation, this is don’t mean properly dry land. And thanks to the large ex-pat community of Dubai, this is no mystery that alcohol is easily utilized in properly licensed, premised clubs and hotels. This can also be used on a private basis. In fact, almost half of the residents of the UAE tell you they drink liquor, with the average drinker using 1 to 3 alcoholic beverages each week.
Make A Call
Chat with us
Although, because of strict laws regarding alcohol, there is tight control on its sale and destruction. Someone wanting to sell and use alcohol needs a license. And violators of this rule can suffer dire consequences comprising penalties and visa cancellation. That stated, there is no requirement to violate this law because with the correct support, getting an alcohol license in the UAE is both quick and simple.
The Process of Getting an Alcohol Trading License in the UAE
First things first, it is vital to know that various kinds of alcohol licenses are available in the United Arab Emirates. There are two choices; a trade license and a license to serve as well. The latter is reserved individually for hotels, bars, and restaurants, so we are going to focus on the business export and import license.
There are four major kinds of licenses includes –
- Type A – License to import alcohol
- Type B – License to sell alcohol to a third party from a warehouse or shop
- Type C – License to deliver alcohol within a restaurant, bar, and hotel
- Type D – License to buy alcohol
When we look at the 7 emirates, this is RAK and Fujairah, are the two simplest and easiest spots to get an alcohol trading license in the United Arab Emirates. While this is a potential way to get a license to trade, export, and import in other regions, the procedure can be far more complicated and is often not worth the extra headache.
Rules for getting an alcohol license in the UAE
Dubai is a popular tourist destination that entices individuals from all over the world. While the city has many bars and restaurants, it is important to note that alcohol consumption is regulated in Dubai. In order to consume alcohol in Dubai, residents and visitors must obtain an alcohol license.
Here are the rules to follow when applying for an alcohol license in Dubai –
- Be a non-Muslim – Alcohol licenses are only issued to non-Muslims who are 21 years or older. Muslims are prohibited from consuming alcohol in accordance with Islamic law.
- Be a resident of Dubai – Alcohol licenses are issued only to residents of Dubai who hold valid residency visas.
- Obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) – In order to obtain an alcohol license, you must first obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your employer. This certificate confirms that your employer has no objection to you consuming alcohol.
- Provide relevant documents – To apply for an alcohol license, you will require to submit the following documents:
• Passport with residence visa page
• Emirates ID
• NOC from your employer
• Passport-sized photograph
- Submit the application online – You can apply for an alcohol license online by visiting the website of the Dubai Police. Fill out the application form, attach the required documents, and submit the form online.
- Pay the fee – There is a fee associated with obtaining an alcohol license, which can be paid online via credit card or through select alcohol stores.
- Wait for approval – Once you submit your application, it may take a few days for the Dubai Police to process it. You will get an SMS notification once your application is approved.
Documents Required for Getting an Alcohol Trading License in Dubai
Once a difficult procedure, applying for getting an alcohol trading license is now a quick and properly trouble-free procedure. First of all, you have to complete the eligibility criteria. This means you would have to be a resident of the UAE, non-Muslim, and above 21 years of age. If you are staying in Dubai but a residency visa is granted by another city, you would require to apply for a NOC letter to the respective department in that city or emirate. No objection certificate can be acquired from the Abu Dhabi particular license office or from the Police Headquarters of Sharjah in those emirates. If you are on the visa of your spouse, you will also need a No Objection Certificate from your spouse.
If you are not a Dubai resident, it is reasonable to apply for a traveler alcohol trading license which allows you to purchase and consume liquor for thirty days in a legal manner. However, it can also be expanded if needed. Once accomplished, you are free to purchase and consume liquor from any authorized liquor retailer in the UAE. There is no fee for a tourist liquor license.
When you get your alcohol trading license, you will also be required to comply with the UAE alcohol code of operation. These are a set of terms that you have to complete for your alcohol trading license to remain valid. Terms comprise – No consumption in public areas; no public intoxication. Not driving under the influence of alcohol, should hide alcohol in public.
There are many methods to make an application. Either online, individually at any Easter + African store or you may select to have an application package shipped to your house address. You may also act with the UAE licensing professionals like Start Any Business (SAB) who are able to handle the application on your behalf of you.
In case you are applying in-store, you will have to visit a licensed liquor distributor in the UAE. When in-store, you will have to fill in some details and present your NOC and Emirates ID. You can figure out details online suggesting that in order to apply for an alcohol trading license in the UAE, you must also give an EJARI tenancy contract and income proof.
Cost of an alcohol license in Dubai, UAE
The cost of an alcohol license in Dubai, UAE differs relying on a number of factors.
Firstly, the cost of the license depends on the kind of alcohol license you are applying for. There are two kinds of alcohol licenses in Dubai – one for individuals and one for companies.
For individuals, the cost of an alcohol license is AED 270, which is valid for one year. This license allows the individual to purchase and consume alcohol from licensed stores and restaurants.
For companies, the cost of an alcohol license depends on the type and size of the business. The Dubai Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) issues alcohol licenses for hotels and restaurants, while the Dubai Police General Department issues licenses for clubs, pubs, and bars.
Hotels and restaurants can apply for either a ‘regular’ or ‘elite’ license, which allows them to serve alcohol in their establishments. The cost of a regular license is AED 6,500, while an elite license costs AED 7,500. These licenses are valid for one year.
Clubs, pubs, and bars can apply for a ‘special’ license, which allows them to serve alcohol until 3 am. The cost of a special license is AED 7,500 and it is valid for one year.
It is important to note that the cost of the license is just one aspect of the process. Applicants must also undergo a medical examination and provide a no-objection certificate from their employer, among other requirements.